[gmx-users] Group-based cutoff on non-bonded interactions with CHARMM22

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 21 00:30:27 CEST 2017

On 5/20/17 8:28 AM, Dawid das wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thank you. Actually I want to do some QM/MM calculations with CHARMM22 for
> MM part
> but not using GROMACS and not all things that are implemented in GROMACS
> are available in my
> QM/MM package. Nevertheless, I still want to gather as much data as
> possible.

CHARMM force fields do not use multi-atom charge groups.  Each atom is its own
group, so the neighbor searching is really always atom-based.  So while the
group and Verlet cutoff schemes are obviously not the same algorithms, with
respect to the removal of charge groups, they are the same.

-Justin

> Best wishes,
> Dawid

>> Hi,
>>
>> Historically that was how things were done. Nobody thinks it is a good idea
>> any more. Use the Verlet scheme plus the recommendations for CHARMM
>> forcefields in GROMACS and you'll be fine - charge groups are removed
>> perforce.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Fri, 19 May 2017 18:44 Dawid das <addiw7 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear  Gromacs Users,
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused whether I shouldn't use charge
>>> group-based cut-off for electrostatics when using CHARMM22.
>>> If I shouldn't use it, what is the purpose of specification of charge
>>> groups in
>>> original CHARMM files?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Dawid
>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629