[gmx-users] walls and E-z

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 07:43:25 CET 2017

Hi all,

It appears that the external field is refusing to move the ions when
walls are present. I am comparing two setups of a system that has an
aqueous bath (1M KCl) split by a semi-porous (infinitely selective for
cations) membrane in XY. The only difference between them is that one is
periodic in XYZ and the other has two walls. The difference isn't minor
-- consider K+ fluxes with and without walls:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jve0hqqpfkn4ui6/flux.jpg?dl=0

Initially, ionic populations in each case are homogeneous. I realize
that with walls the process will stop when all cations end up at the top
of the box (and that's the goal). However, there is no flux right from
the start. Relevant portion of the mdp with walls below (not sure if
this is important, but 'ewald-geometry' directive isn't in the mdp
without walls):

pbc                 = xy
nwall               = 2
wall-type           = 12-6