[gmx-users] walls and E-z

Dan Gil dan.gil9973 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:58:55 CET 2017

Hi Alex,

Is your system without walls periodic and continuous in all directions? I
can see a scenario where this sort of system will maintain charge
neutrality in the different reservoirs separated by the semi-porous
membrane. While cations will be transported, the charge in each reservoir
will be maintained constant because as one cation leaves, its periodic
image enters the same reservoir. It is a steady-state process.

In the system with walls, charge neutrality will be broken if cations are
transported across the membrane because it won't have a periodic image that
enters the same reservoir as it leaves. I think that the cation transport
would be more like capacitance since a constant electric field will only be
able to hold a finite number of cations across the membrane. This is an
equilibrium process.

Maybe try higher electric field?

Dan