[gmx-users] Ewald summation in 2 dimensions with correction

Dan Gil dan.gil9973 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:29:12 CET 2017

Hi,

I tried using the regular PME method with and without corrections. The
results don't depend on the choice of ewald-geometry  at all!

I used (Gromacs 5.1):
wall-ewald-zfac = 3
ewald-geometry = 3d     ; This prompts a warning because I am using 2 walls
- 2d system. I forced this with maxwarn.
E-z                    = 1 5 0

and I also used
wall-ewald-zfac = 3
ewald-geometry = 3dc   ; No warnings since this is recommended
E-z                    = 1 5 0

I checked that this input was being processing correctly on topol.tpr. For
the first case, I see ewald-geometry = 0 and the second case ewald-geometry
= 1.

The electric field from ionic liquid has a magnitude of ~7.5 V/nm in the
opposite direction to the applied electric field for both cases. This is
greater than the applied 5. I obtained the electric field using gmx
potential.

I would very much appreciate any recommendations.

Dan

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-5936464299898835406_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Dan Gil <dan.gil9973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using gmx potential to measure the electric field. I've reported the
> values from field.xvg in my previous email. The field at the edges of the
> ionic liquid near the walls will oscillate because of the electric double
> layer but it is the bulk field I am concerned with.
>
> I read the supporting information - I thought that the Ewald summation
> correction for 2 dimensions was supposed to cancel out interactions between
> periodic images in the z direction?
>
> Were you using the regular 3-D Ewald summation in this work? I might try
> carrying out the calculations that way.
>
> Dan
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:23 AM, David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/17 16:44, Dan Gil wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts...
>>>
>>> For more information, if I use:
>>> wall-ewald-zfac = 3
>>> E-z                    = 1 5 0
>>> The electric field from ionic liquid has a magnitude of 7.5 V/nm in the
>>> opposite direction to the applied electric field. This makes no sense to
>>> me
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> With
>>> wall-ewald-zfac = 5
>>> E-z                    = 1 5 0
>>> The ionic liquid E is -6.2
>>>
>> How do you measure the electric field? Using gmx potential?
>> What numbers does the (optional?) file field.xvg contain?
>>
>> There can of course be a difference between applied field and effective
>> field, in particular with PBC. I sugges you read the supporting information
>> for our paper: Carl Caleman and David van der Spoel: Picosecond Melting of
>> Ice by an Infrared Laser Pulse - A Simulation Study Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed.
>> 47 pp. 1417-1420 (2008)
>>

>>> With
>>> wall-ewald-zfac = 10
>>> E-z                    = 1 5 0
>>> The electric field is still slightly above the expected 5 V/nm.
>>>
>>> The dimensions of the box is about 5x5x20 nm3.
>>>
>>> Reading various sources say that the wall factor should not matter as
>>> long
>>> as it is sufficiently large (x3) but in my case it seems to matter a lot.
>>> Should I report this as a bug or do you think I can investigate this
>>> further?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>
>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_sou
>>> rce=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>>> Virus-free.