[gmx-users] manually adding non-bonded interactions based on atom number to topology file

Wes Barnett w.barnett at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 28 21:12:34 CEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Amanda Parker <asparker at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> For some reason I'm not getting your replies to my inbox, but I saw them in
> the Digest.
>
> Wes-- I would like to see a sort of phase transition, yes, in which a
> number of monomers go from a disordered to ordered state. The ordered state
> will look something like AB-AB-AB-... where AB represents a monomer that
> has an A end and a B end (using Yu's description) that are identical, and
> the "-" indicates an attractive interaction.
>
> Yu-- Good point about the cut-off. Maybe you're right and I don't want
> Lennard Jones for this. Also, can you tell me more about PLUMED?
>
> Perhaps I made my question too convoluted. What I really want to know is
> how to manually add interactions between particular atom numbers of a
> single monomer. (The only caveat to this that might be important is that
> I'll want these interactions to end up applying to a number of monomers
> that will start far apart from each other.) Should I put them in [ pairs ],
> [ nonbonded_params ], or elsewhere? What happens to the parameters
> specified in [ atomtypes ] in each case? I'm worried that I'm changing the
> parameters in [ pairs ], while gromacs is never actually using those
> parameters, since maybe it thinks those should be 1-4 interactions (which
> they're not) or because it's using different sets of parameters instead or
> for some other reason.
>
> Thanks again,
> Amanda

I'm still not quite getting what the system is. Are there bonds between
monomers? How many bonds are on each polymer? Have you been able to
simulate a regular polymer melt? What have you tried so far? My suggestion
is to start with a simpler system first and then work your way up to this
more complex system.

[ pairs ] is just for 1-4 non-bonded interactions. Do you want those in
your simulation? This all depends on what you have in [ defaults ] as well.
Do you have "gen-pairs" as yes? Are you excluding 1-4 non-bonded
interactions? Do you even have those in your system? From your description
above it looks like you have just two particles per molecule, so non-bonded
interactions between particles in the same molecule would be irrelevant.

[ nonbonded_params ] will override any previous combination rule. In this
section you must specify every interaction's parameters.

The simple answer to this question is - if you want different interactions
between different monomers, they need to be different atom types, and most
likely you'll want to specify each interaction in [ nonbonded_params ].