[gmx-users] Number of Xeon cores per GTX 1080Ti

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:03:29 CEST 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Jochen Hub <jhub at gwdg.de> wrote:

> Am 03.04.18 um 16:26 schrieb Szilárd Páll:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Jochen Hub <jhub at gwdg.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>benchmar

>>> Hi Szilárd,
>>>
>>> many thanks, this alrady helps me a lot. Just to get it 100% clear what
>>> you
>>> mean with core-GHz: A 10-core E5-2630v4 with 2.2 GHz would have 22
>>> core-GHz,
>>> right?
>>

>> Yes, that's what I was referring to; note that a 2630v4 won't be
>> running at a 2.2 GHz base clock if you run AVX code ;)
>

> Okay, I didn't know this. What would be the base clock instead with AVX
> code?

Short version: It's not easy to out details as Intel conveniently
omits it from the specs, but it's AFAIK 3-400 MHz lower; also note
that "turbo bins" change as a function of cores used (so you can't
just benchmark on a few cores leaving the rest idle). Also, the actual
clock speed (and overall performance) depend on other factors too so
benchmarking and extrapolation might require consider other factors
too.

Let me know if you are interested in more details.

--
Szilárd