[gmx-users] Xeon Phi's Re: Number of Xeon cores per GTX 1080Ti

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:07:32 CEST 2018

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:01 PM, Raman Preet Singh
<ramanpreetsingh at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Szilard:
>
> Thanks for sharing this valuable info. Very helpful.
>
> We are looking forward to procure a Xeon Phi processor based system. Specs are yet to be finalized.

FYI: the follow-up to the current Xeon Phi "KNL" has been canceled and
it's possible that the entire product line has been discontinued.
Also, most codes run faster these days on 2S SKL systems than on KNL
(including GROMACS).

> I am not sure if you have tested Xeon Phi but can you give me insights on the processor. Can I expect the high number of cores to translate into a proportional increase in performance with Phi processor as compared to Xeon E5 series with lesser cores?

I don't fully understand the question, are you asking about multicore scaling?

> Can the general estimation "7-10 "core-GHz" per fast Pascal GPU" be applied here too?

Not sure what you mean, Xeon Phi (KNL) is not used in offload more.