[gmx-users] viscosity calculation using g_energy

Jo jojo412202 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 04:28:36 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the viscosity of pure SPCE water, which has a bulk
viscosity of 1.567 cP and shear viscosity of 0.704 cP according to
literature (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jp211952y).

In gromacs, I ran 1000 SPCE water using NPT equilibration for 20 ns and
then NVE production for 20 ns. I save to the energy file every 1 ps.  I
then run the following command to calculate viscosity:

gmx energy -f prod.edr -vis viscosity.xvg

I then enter the volume of the box from the final output gro file
(prod.gro), for 1000 SPCE water it is about 30nm^3.   I then observe the
resultant shear and bulk viscosity from the output viscosity.xvg file.

Both the shear and bulk viscosity vs time curves do not look converged and
appear to fluctuated over the range of 3-4 cP, with a mean of 1.4 cP for
shear viscosity and 2 cP for bulk viscosity.

Do you have any recommendations as to what I can try to reduce fluctuations
of viscosity to make an accurate prediction?