[gmx-users] affect of water removal on subsequent energy calculations

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 10:21:13 CEST 2018

Screening effects in Gromacs come in a rather non-straightforward manner
in terms of data extraction: they certainly exist within the simulations
in the form of the fields induced by local water orientation, but to
extract them from reruns is extremely challenging even if you're
outputting water trajectories. If this is about interactions between
different parts of proteins, I would absolutely output water
trajectories, because otherwise you're left with LJ+electrostatics and
assumptions on local dielectric constant, which in itself is a very
nuanced problem:
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.077801

We're faced with very similar challenges at the moment, so we're
independently postprocessing complete trajectories (including
everything) and solving Poisson's eqn all over again to give e.g.
time-averaged 3D electrostatics maps.

Alex