[gmx-users] affect of water removal on subsequent energy calculations

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:09:36 CEST 2018

Mark, Justin:

This is two against one, even though noone was questioning the
additivity of energy in forcefields with constant charges, etc.

So, let's go back specifically to solvation. Consider a system with two
oppositely charged ions (1 and 2) in water of your choosing (group 3).
For extreme simplicity, the ions are actually restrained at a distance R
from each other, and again for simplicity we're only interested in the
Coulomb part of the potential energy. The trajectory contains everything.

In one instance, we calculate E_tot - E_13 - E_23 - E_33, in another
E_12 (as one would easily do for a trajectory that has no water
coordinates). Are those two numbers in agreement and, if so, what is it?
q1*q2/R or q1*q2/eps/R?

Alex