[gmx-users] force field parameters for Fe3O4?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 15 16:45:43 CEST 2018

On 4/13/18 6:26 AM, rose rahmani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use AMBER force field.
> So, how about periodic structures? like inorganic nanosheet and nanotubes?

One would never attempt to do parametrization directly on a full,
periodic structure, largely because (1) it's not possible/practical and
(2) you will end up with a non-transferable, geometry-dependent solution
to the charge distribution in QM.

A large structure must be parametrized from a smaller repeating unit
that reflects a suitable building block of the whole thing, using an
appropriate level of QM theory that is consistent with the methodology
of the force field you've chosen. If you parametrize parts of a force
field with different levels of theory, you get a hodge-podge force field
with no guarantee of functionality.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall