[gmx-users] Definiting protonation in pdb2gmx input

mhuhtala at abo.fi mhuhtala at abo.fi
Mon Apr 16 13:07:16 CEST 2018

One of the recurring questions on the list seems to be how to define
residue protonation states non-interactively in pdb2gmx input. The
interactive options are a bit of a nightmare to use. Could pdb2gmx be
modified to optionally read the residue types from the PDB file
itself? The user would replace e.g. "ASP " with "ASPH" in the PDB
file, and pdb2gmx would build a protonated aspartate, whether the
hydrogen atom is there in the PDB file or not. Same for all residue
types, of course. The upside would be having readable and more easily
scriptable input instead of trying to script the interactive input. I
realize that the names of the residue types differ between force
fields, but even requiring force field specific names would be ok as
far as I'm concerned (ASPH in Gromos, ASH in Amber, etc.).