[gmx-users] How to resolve Inconsistent moves, Graphene sheet simulation with Gromacs 5.1.4

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 01:39:16 CEST 2018

Hi,

Your mdp file contains all the necessary things for this simulation to
proceed normally, i.e. COM motion is removed, periodic molecules are set
and full pbc is all there. Visualize the trajectory and see what is
going on. "I corrected the dihedral function to 3" makes no sense,
sorry. The type of dihedrals must correspond to what it was wherever you
found the dihedral energy term.

For graphene, the symmetry is incredibly simple, let's try to use my
parameters. I happen to think that the graphene situation for Gromacs is
hopeless, because so many people seem to get their parameters from very
strange places, including out-of-the-box stuff from FFs like OPLS-AA.

1. Remove all dihedrals from your topology.
2. Make sure your box size corresponds exactly to the lattice constant.
For graphene, it is a=2.46 A and the bond length is a/sqrt(3). In
Gromacs, for the bulk bonds I use (CJ is my bulk graphene carbon): CJ
CJ      1    0.14200   420420.0
3. The angle that works for me is: CJ     CJ     CJ      1 120.000
659.346
4. Test if this works without dihedrals.
5. Try adding dihedrals.

Parameters for dihedral:
CJ     CJ     CJ     CJ      3     17.30770   0.00000 -17.30770
0.00000   0.00000   0.00000
This absolutely works, provided you have set up your non-bonded
parameters and nrexcl properly.

All parameters from
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0957-4484/25/48/485701/meta
(shameless self-plug). Not a great paper, but can be useful. The
dihedral parameters above need to be consistent with the number of
dihedrals. If I recall correctly, the paper lists ONE dihedral per bond,
so count your dihedrals. It is not expected to change your results much
(unless you're specifically interested in ripples), but still try to
double-check what the paper says and how your topology is set up.

Alex