[gmx-users] Running simulation differences

Gonzalez Fernandez, Cristina cristina.gonzalezfdez at unican.es
Thu Dec 20 20:58:01 CET 2018

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am simulating the interaction of a lipid with water. I obtain practically the same value for the coulomb interaction energy, but I am not able to get a value for the van der waals energy close to the published one (although I have used the same settings than the ones used in the article). Therefore, I checked tha GMX manual and I tried to modified the settings that affect the van der waals energy in order to get a better value: vdwtype, vdw-modifier, rvdw and DispCorr (as I am using GROMOS96 FF I don't consider rvdw-switch).

This is the .mdp file:

title                = Lipid A  simulation
; Run parameters
integrator          = md        ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps                = 5500000        ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
dt                    = 0.002        ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout                = 5000        ; save coordinates every 1.0 ps
nstvout                 = 5000        ; save velocities every 1.0 ps
nstenergy           = 5000        ; save energies every 1.0 ps
nstlog                = 5000        ; update log file every 1.0 ps
nstxtcout               = 5000
xtc-grps                = System
; Bond parameters
continuation            = yes        ; restarting after NVT
constraint_algorithm    = lincs        ; holonomic constraints
constraints            = all-bonds    ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds) constrained
lincs_iter            = 1            ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order            = 4            ; also related to accuracy
; Nonbonded settings
cutoff-scheme           = Verlet
ns_type                = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist                = 5        ; 20 fs, largely irrelevant with Verlet
rcoulomb            = 1.4        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw                = 1.4        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
rlist                   = 1.41
vdwtype                 = Cut-off
vdw_modifier            = None
verlet-buffer-drift     = -1
; Electrostatics
coulombtype            = Reaction-Field    ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
epsilon_rf              = 61
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl           = nose-hoover    ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps                = System    ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t                = 0.2               ; time constant, in ps
ref_t                = 298                ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is oN
pcoupl                  = Parrinello-Rahman         ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
pcoupltype              = isotropic                 ; uniform scaling of box vectors
tau_p                   = 0.5                       ; time constant, in ps
ref_p                   = 1.0                       ; reference pressure, in bar
compressibility         = 4.5e-5                    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
;refcoord_scaling        = com
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc                = xyz            ; 3-D PBC
;Dispersion correction
;DispCorr            = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel                 = no        ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
;gen_temp            = 278        ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
;gen_seed            = -1        ; generate a random seed

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me, because I don't know what else I can do,

C.