[gmx-users] Calculate RDF within a certain distance from atom

João Henriques joao.m.a.henriques at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 09:51:49 CET 2018

Justin already properly addressed the original post, so I'll just add a few
comments about the last message:

> I have the RDF between Calpha-Ow, and it is showing a slight hump/peak
around 0.47nm.

So you've managed to calculate it then as Justin suggested? FYI the RDF
minimum occurs at a larger distance for C atoms (~5 Å) than for O and N
atoms (3.3-3.5 Å), so the peak you see at 4.7 Å seems about right.

> So, i am further interested in studying how water molecules are oriented
towards it closely...what is happening around within 0.7nm distance of
Calpha w.r.t Ow...

Maybe I'm just not seeing the full picture, but how does this have anything
to do with the RDF? The RDF shows how density varies as a function of
distance from a reference particle. There certainly is some correlation
with particle orientation, but extracting this information from the RDF
profile alone seems unfeasible.