[gmx-users] hydration free energy

asaffarhi at post.tau.ac.il asaffarhi at post.tau.ac.il
Fri Jan 5 15:39:38 CET 2018

Thanks for discussion. I am waiting already few days for anyfing reply.
The technique of calculation in the file job.sh. The value of coul-λ
is uniformely increasing from 0 to 1 with the step 0.02 for 50 first
λ-steps and in the same way for vdw-λ last 50 λ-steps. The problem is
in the last trajectory with λ=1 there are no coulomb and vdw
intermolecular interactions with the estimate of the entropy according
BAR method S=62204236256674537472.00 kT. The neigbouring state used in
BAR with λ=0.99 contains no coulomb and some remaining vdw force.
Therefore I consider that overlapping of atoms can't produce this
error. It happens only then opposite coulomb charges overcome vdw in
nearly decoupled state. Therefore there is no need in soft-core
interactions because all coulomb is decupling previously to vdw.
I made the search in archive and this problem was discussed sometimes,
but didn't found clear answer for my case. Now I decided to run the
cycle in the reversed order from decoupled state to real interactions.

You're welcome.

If there are no vdW and Coul it still calculates the average energy,
which without soft-core technique can be very large when atoms overlap.
You can read
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010465516303411

Eq. (2) and the following text etc.

You can try a soft-core technique to see if it is better.

Best,
Asaf