[gmx-users] What is the most reliable way to run repeats for reproducibility?

ZHANG Cheng 272699575 at qq.com
Wed Jan 10 15:59:39 CET 2018

Hi Mark,
Thank you very much.

) For the link you provide, I think I could not manipulate most of the computer resources, as I submit my jobs to our cluster, and the jobs are distributed to different available cores randomly.

) For "random seed" of velocity, I found here and I enabled this option:
gen_vel = yes
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/06_equil.html

So does it mean that it is better to use the same em.tpr and run different NVT,NPT,etc. for different repeats, so as to initialise it with different velocities?

) How the "natural chaotic divergence during equilibration" is reflected at which step?

The link says: "The Central Limit Theorem tells us that in the case of infinitely long simulation all observables converge to their equilibrium values". But I think this "equilibrium" is not practical for protein in MD. For example, if I am running a protein at 370K, ultimately it will unfold, like boiling an egg in water, it takes 10 min. But in MD, the time scale is way more shorter, i.e. usually a few hundred ns scale. We could "never" see the proteins converges within that short period.

So my understanding about "equilibrium" is the equilibration for temperature/pressure/density, but not the protein itself. Is that correct?
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/06_equil.html
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/07_equil2.html

Yours sincerely
Cheng