[gmx-users] disulfide bond missing even with -ss

MD refmac5 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 17:42:27 CET 2018

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 1/21/18 11:30 AM, MD wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> after
>>> pdb2gmx or any point thereafter, does not have -SH, then you are
>>> modeling a
>>> disulfide. You can't simultaneously have no bond defined in the topology
>>> and also have no thiols. These are mutually exclusive. I suspect the bond
>>> was formed and you're perhaps looking in the wrong place.
>>>

>> ​Then how can we explain there are no bond formed in the
>> topol_Protein_chain_B.itp?​
>>

> Is the image you showed before or after pdb2gmx? I'm trying to help you
> figure this out, but the information at hand is not consistent unless this
> structure is pre-pdb2gmx. What I was asking about was a structure *after*
> processing with pdb2gmx.

​Yes I am very thankful for the help here and was just trying to discuss :)

The structure picture I showed is the one after pdb2gmx. I double checked
the original pdb which has disulfide bond. Then I processed the pdb with
pdb2gmx. I checked the topol_Protein_chain_B.itp and there was no disulfide
bond. I know I should stop here but I want to look at the pdb file so I
then moved forward to em.mdp and convert the em.gro to em.pdb with ​trjconv
and looked at the pdb file (the one shown in the picture), which only has
two sulfurs in close distance. The distance is about 2.0A but no disulfide
bond shown. I thought it might be chimera which didn't detect the bond but
I thought the topol_Protein_chain_B.itp or any gmx log should have
confirmed the bond formation. Does it make sense?