[gmx-users] gmx convert-tpr tool is not found but tpbconv_mpi is present in gromacs 5.0.4

Santanu Santra santop420 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:58:17 CEST 2018

Hi all,
         I have installed gromacs 5.0.4 in a parallel cluster. While I was
serching for gmx convert-tpr tool to extend my simulation that has been run
previously upto 15 ns (I want to continue the simulation upto 100 ns).
According to gromacs documentation tpbconv_mpi tool is removed from gromacs
5.0.xxxx version and this is replaced by gmx convert-tpr tool. But in my
bin directory there is nothing in the name of  gmx convert-tpr or in
similar name, but I found tpbconv_mpi . I also tried with that tool to
extend but it is showing error .

I tried the command======================
tpbconv_mpi -s md_nvt -o md_nvt_25.tpr -extend 10000
I got ====================================
GROMACS:      gmx tpbconv, VERSION 5.0.4
Executable:   /opt/gromacs-5.0.4/bin/gmx_mpi
Library dir:  /opt/gromacs-5.0.4/share/gromacs/top
Command line:
  tpbconv_mpi -s md_nvt -o md_nvt_25.tpr -extend 10000

This tool has been removed from Gromacs 5.0. Please see
  http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Tool_Changes_for_5.0
for ideas how to perform the same tasks with the new tools.

I am confused with two contrary statements.....
(1) If tpbconv_mpi tool is removed from gromacs 5.0.X version, then how it
is present in my bin directory and also it is not working
(2) why  gmx convert-tpr tool is absent in my bin directory. As all other
tools are available in my bin directory.