[gmx-users] Metal organic framework energy minimization

Lakshman Ji Verma lakshmanjivrm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:24:34 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 8:32 AM Jordan Chapman <jschapman at mix.wvu.edu>
wrote:

> GROMACS users,
>
> I am attempting pre-processing of a metal organic framework (ZIF-8) in
> water, but I am running into trouble with energy minimization. I've added
> both bonded and nonbonded forcefield parameters for ZIF-8 into the AMBER03
> forcefield library and solvated the system with the TIP3P water model using
> "gmx solvate". The steepest descent algorithm converges to the options I
> have set in my minimization mdp file, and an analysis of potential energy
> over the simulation time using "gmx energy" follows an expected trend.
> However the simulation returns a warning that at several time steps in the
> minimization one or more water molecules could not be settled.

I have come across these errors. Apparently in my cases, water atoms
overlap with the other molecule. It happens because when we add water
molecules with gmx solvate, water molecules are added in all the possible
vacant spaces and some water molecules are added within molecules where
they are not supposed to be. So, I think water molecules in your case are
being inserted within the ZIF-8 framework where there is not enough space.
You might want to look at your input .gro file for minimization and remove
those water molecules.

> Depending on the size of the system I defined using "gmx editconf" I find
> that the ZIF-8 molecule by the end of the simulation is either crumpled
> when the box size is too large or stretched to the dimensions of the box
> when the box size is too small. For reference, the size of a unit cell of
> ZIF-8 is approximately 1.7 nm x 1.7 nm x 1.7 nm.

If bonds are breaking. You might want to look at bonds and dihedral angles
in your topology file and see if all the atoms are  connected correctly.

Thanks!
Lakshman