[gmx-users] gmx 5.1.4, cuda9, Unsupported gpu architecture 'compute_20'

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 22:45:26 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:40 PM Tamas Hegedus <tamas at hegelab.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to rerun a simulation done in gmx 5.1.4 to save also the water
> and ions.
>
> First, I took the equilibrated gro and the modified mdp to generate the
> input tpr for the production run using gmx 2018.1. The results are
> significantly different (I think that this is ok). But I would like to
> rerun also with gmx 5.1.4.

I am not aware of a good reason to want to do this, but if you did, you can
use a CPU-only build. gmx mdrun -rerun does not get the full benefit of GPU
offload, anyway.

> However, I have to compile the old version and there is cuda9 on the
> system I use. I get the nvcc fatal   : Unsupported gpu architecture
> 'compute_20' error. After running cmake I tried to delete all
> -gencode;arch=compute_20,code=sm_20; from the files listed below.
> However, they are regenerated after issuing make and make stops with the
> same error.
>
> How can I resolve this issue?

GROMACS 5.1.4 supported hardware that CUDA used to support, however the
much more recently released CUDA 9 does not. Either use a newer GROMACS
version, build without CUDA support, or build with an older CUDA version.

Mark