[gmx-users] Lennrd-Jones potential in Gromos force field

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:55:10 CEST 2018

Hi,

All force fields have functional forms and parameters for them that have
been arbitrarily and empirically determined in ways that they reproduce
some observables. Except if the designers intended some component to have a
physical interpretation, there is none you should make without clear
evidence that it works. That's because all the components  are mutually
compensating for deficiencies of the others. When you read up on the force
field you are using, you will probably learn that there is no such intent
or evidence for the gromos force fields. A free energy of binding could be
meaningful, however.

Mark