[gmx-users] how to improve computing?

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 04:53:41 CEST 2018

This here is pretty useful, as it turns out (наконец-то нормальную
документацию написали):
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Acceleration_and_parallelization

Developers tell us that we can get very good performance without
utilizing all CPU threads. Anyway, if you built gmx with all the default
flags (-DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON -DGMX_GPU=ON), I would try mdrun with
something like:

option 1:

-nt 16 -ntmpi 4 -npme 1 -pme gpu -nb gpu -gputasks 0000

option 2:

-nt 8 -pin on -ntmpi 2 -npme 1 -pme gpu -nb gpu -gputasks 00

just to compare performance and see if your GPU is bottlenecking things.
Depending on the CPU-GPU execution time ratio, if it is <1, you may also
try not offloading PME's FFT to the GPU (-pmefft cpu). Then try -ntomp,
etc, etc.

Alex