[gmx-users] Lennrd-Jones potential in Gromos force field

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:15:21 CEST 2018

I think this terminology (polar/non-polar) might be bad and it can keep
one from understanding the underlying mechanisms.

Also, to add to what Mark said, the whole "polarity" idea  is very
unclear and generally impossible to study with MD when it comes to CNTs
and graphene. One must realize that you are not simulating an actual
CNT. You are simulating a collection of LJ+Coulomb particles arranged in
a CNT-like lattice. That is not a CNT. Depending on size,
functionalization, chirality, defects, etc, CNTs may have mobile
electronic charge throughout, which polarizes in the presence of charged
things  surrounding the CNT. This comment is easy to ignore, it is
ignored by many people, and I am pretty sure it will be ignored here,
and yet it is very important to keep in mind that you are not simulating
a CNT when it comes to local polarization. It is a very rough
approximation at best.

Alex