[gmx-users] nve energy conservation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:39:17 CET 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:08 PM Jo <jojo412202 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your response.  I have found a way to conserve energy of my
> box of SPC/E water by removing 'settles' from my topology file.

Thus your water is no longer rigid.

> Previously, the total energy of the system was consistently increasing or
> decreasing by a significant amount resulting in no energy conservation.

You're doing a numerical computation with finite-precision forces,
positions and velocities and a discrete fixed time step. You are guaranteed
to have both random and systematic errors compared to exact arithmetic.
Maybe you can find a parameter combination that will appear to lack
systematic errors, but that doesn't mean errors are absent, or the
combination is "better," as you have no doubt already read about in the
article I shared.

> I have defined 'bonds' and 'angles' with length and force constant for a
> flexible SPC/E water, with no 'settles' and no 'constraints'.  For these
> parameters, the total energy converges to approximately the correct energy
> and fluctuates withing 40 kJ/mol for a timestep of 1 fs, which is good.

Why is it good? :-)

> However, I don't understand why or how removing the constraints allowed for
> energy conservation.

It is implementing different equations of motion. If the only observable of
interest is the potential energy, and the multiple sources of numerical
inaccuracy are cancelling suitable for you, and you can afford to generate
enough samples at that short time step, then go right ahead :-)

> Does simply defining 'bonds' and 'angles' actually
> force the atoms to to constrained as a rigid molecule.

No, see the documentation about bonded interactions...

>   If not, why does
> adding some sort of constraint make the system loose energy conservation?

It is implementing different equations of motion, and they have different
numerical properties. Whether those properties are sufficient for any
purpose is an open question. I note that you ignored my earlier series of
questions on this topic, which were intended to help you learn ;-)

How can I go about constraining the atoms as a rigid water molecule so that
> I don't loose energy conservation?

As you can infer from Figure 3.5 in the reference manual, you can choose
the drift from the verlet buffer to add enough energy to offset the drift
from SETTLE. But obviously that would be a pair of compensating systematic
errors - so you won't learn anything from merely observing
that the systematic drift is zero.

Mark