[gmx-users] gmx wham

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 23 20:10:47 CET 2018

On 3/23/18 2:23 PM, Alex wrote:
> Which part is unclear? The image is here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiz1m4b69rr3791/pmf_graphene.jpg?dl=0
>
> "below" and "above" correspond to two sets of ion configs below (-1.5
> nm to 0) and above (0 to 1.5 nm) membrane, respectively. Each curve
> was pinned with -zprof0 1.5. The reason I did not look at the whole
> thing is that I probably got confused by the documentation regarding
> -symm, which suggested relying on PBC when calculating the curve. In
> my case, nothing crosses periodic boundary. The box is ~ 4 nm tall and
> configurations are from z=-1.5nm to z=1.5nm. As you can see, there
> seems to be some sort of a shift going on close to the pore (which is
> at zero)... In any case, the curve above is consistent with my
> expectations, while the one below is not.

I would expect the -sym option to be relevant, because the profile, as
you say, should be the same on both sides. However, if you've run the
simulations such that z is always a positive number, this won't work.

How long are the simulations in each window? Have you done bootstrapping
for error estimates? The PMF looks a bit rough so I suspect you may not
have enough data, but indeed the values are strikingly different.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061