[gmx-users] strange GPU load distribution

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 7 00:03:54 CEST 2018

On 5/6/18 5:51 PM, Alex wrote:
> Unfortunately, we're still bogged down when the EM runs (example
> below) start -- CPU usage by these jobs is initially low, while their
> PIDs show up in nvidia-smi. After about a minute all goes back to
> normal. Because the user is doing it frequently (scripted), everything
> is slowed down by a large factor. Interestingly, we have another user
> utilizing a GPU with another MD package (LAMMPS) and that GPU is never
> touched by these EM jobs.
>
> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thinking out loud - a run that explicitly calls for only the CPU to be
used might be trying to detect GPU if mdrun is GPU-enabled. Is that a
possibility, including any latency in detecting that device? Have you
tested to make sure that an mdrun binary that is explicitly disabled
from using GPU (-DGMX_GPU=OFF) doesn't affect the GPU usage when running
the same command?

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall