[gmx-users] strange GPU load distribution

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:13:41 CEST 2018

Hi,

I don't see any problems there, but I note that there are run-time settings
for the driver/runtime to block until no other process is using the GPU,
which may be a contributing factor here.

As Justin noted, if your EM jobs would use a build of GROMACS that is not
configured to have access to the GPUs, then there can be no problem. I
recommend you do that if you want to continue sharing this node between GPU
and non-GPU jobs. There has long been the principle that users must take
active steps to keep GROMACS processes away from each other when sharing
CPU resources, and this is a similar situation.

In the abstract, it would be reasonable to organize mdrun so that we
determine that we might want to use a GPU if we have one before we run the
GPU detection, however that high-level code is in considerable flux in
development branches, and we are highly unlikely to prioritise such a fix
in a stable release branch to suit this use case. I didn't think that some
of the reorganization since 2016 release would have this effect, but
apparently it can. Sorry!

Mark