[gmx-users] Rupture force definition

Rakesh Mishra rockinbhu at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:24:33 CEST 2018

Dear Justin,

I have discussed a lot regarding the pulling of dsRNA/dsDNA using gromacs
about your protocol. Thanks for  those discussion.
But  I faced two more basic problem in gromacs.

1-   I need double size box if I need to pull half distance of box (Which
makes time demanding ).
      Eg.  let I want to pull DNA of length 34 Angstroms (3.4 nm) to 68
Angstroms (6.8 nm) along X direction.
      Then I need to make the box of the  size just double of 6.8 nm i.e
we need to box that must be extended in the pulling direction of the size
13. 6 nm.
      And then it needs lots of time to simulate compare to if I use other
simulation tool for  pulling like NAMD or Amber, where no need to make the
box size double
      then the given pulling distance. Then  Why Gromacs should be used for
pulling .

2-  And I use constant velocity pulling with distance increasing. Then Its
not possible to get variation of force/distance . It just gives linear
variation like straight line with force.
     Yes, it gives basically variation of force with the time .

3-  But suppose we want get force versus stretch(extension) curve then how
to do constant force pulling like constant velocity.

4-  Should we use NAMD for simple force versus extension curve .

   My above 1-2-3 questions are important for me as a gromacs user.  If
possible please ans, I will be great full to you.