[gmx-users] Regarding MD simulations involving metal ion (Mn)

Paul bauer paul.bauer.q at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:11:50 CEST 2018

Hello,

for metal ions (and especially transition metals) you should first
consider what kind of metal model you want to employ, as the different
models (bonded, soft sphere or dummy model) have have different properties.
There are numerous papers outlining the parametrization of those
different models, so you can search them once you have decided on how
you want to model the ion :)

If you are in need of modelling things such as unpaired electrons, spin
effects or anything else quantum mechanical, you should consider if MD
is the correct approach to simulate a structure like this or if a pure
QM description is more appropriate.

If you have a reference for a similar system you should follow the
approach outlined there as much as possible.

Also one note of caution, you should only use one force field to
simulate your system, and never mix and match force fields.

Cheers

Paul