[gmx-users] Pulling two groups in opposite direction

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 17 02:53:50 CEST 2018

On 5/16/18 3:32 AM, Naba wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using gromacs 5.1.2 and trying to pull both monomers of 128 amino
> acids from its homodimer in opposite directions along z axis. The
> interfaces of each protein chain is parallel to the z axis. I do not need
> any restraints in this case. I have gone through the GROMACS manual and
> some of the previous archived messages and set the following mdp options.
>
> ; Pull code
> pull                    = yes
> pull_ngroups            = 2
> pull_ncoords            = 2
> pull_group1_name        = chain_A
> pull_group2_name        = chain_B
> ;pull_group3_name = Protein
> pull_coord1_type = umbrella
> pull_coord2_type = umbrella
> pull_coord1_init = 0.0
> pull_coord2_init = 0.0
> pull_coord1_start = yes           ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_coord2_start = yes
> pull_coord1_geometry    = direction
> pull_coord2_geometry    = direction
> pull_coord1_groups      = 2 1
> pull_coord2_groups      = 1 2
> pull_coord1_dim         = N N Y
> pull_coord2_dim         = N N Y

Note that pull_coord*_dim is not relevant when using "direction" geometry.

> pull_coord1_rate        = 0.01        ; 0.008 nm per ps = 8 nm per ns
> pull_coord2_rate        = 0.01         ; 0.008 nm per ps = 8 nm per ns
> pull_coord1_k           = 2000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull_coord2_k           = 2000
> pull_coord1_vec        = 0.0 0.0 1.0
> pull_coord2_vec        = 0.0 0.0 -1.0
> nstcalcenergy = 1
> nhchainlength = 1
>
> But it fails to pull chain_A in positive z direction. However, chain_B is
> seemed to pull in negative z direction. Someone please suggest the proper
> way to pull two groups in opposite directions, or if there is anything that
> I am missing.

What is the point of pulling in two directions? Separation of two
species requires only one reaction coordinate. For every action, there
is an equal, but opposite reaction...

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.