[gmx-users] Does a logical pressure (1 Bar) can be reached in REMD?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 19 17:41:36 CEST 2018

On 5/19/18 8:45 AM, Soham Sarkar wrote:
> Thanks for reply.. but what is the actual pressure of the system? You
> mentioned it as the instantaneous pressure

Instantaneous simply refers to the value at any given time point; these
will fluctuate wildly, particularly for a tiny system like yours, and
the instantaneous values are meaningless.

The average pressure (and its distribution) is more meaningful. Compute
that with gmx energy.

-Justin

> On Sat, 19 May 2018, 6:03 pm Mark Abraham, <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is normal for instantaneous measurements of pressure. See
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Sat, May 19, 2018, 13:04 Soham Sarkar <soham9038 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>   Dear All,
>>> I have a small system including a 4 residue peptide. I have chosen 8
>>> temperature windows for doing REMD simulation of this system. After the
>>> temperature convergence of the 8 systems in the 1st stage of
>> equillibration
>>> run, the obtained pressure are quite absurd, which is not change that
>> much
>>> after the 2nd stage of production run. I want to know whether this type
>> of
>>> pressure range is ok for a system or not? Should I carry out analysis in
>>> this pressure range? As in normal md simulation there is a pressure
>>> convergence step which takes the system to the desired pressure. This
>> type
>>> of step is not there in the REMD simulation.
>>> The pressure and temperature of this system after 1st stage of
>>> equillibration of 10ns are as follows
>>> Temperature(K) Pressure(Bar)
>>> 350.112              -28.4761
>>> 369.218             262.054