[gmx-users] Electric field or CompEl protocol?

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sun May 20 02:34:27 CEST 2018

It's more of a philosophical question in, unfortunately. I don't use
CompEl, because I believe it is conceptually clunky, but that's a matter
of opinion that could turn into discussion beyond the scope of your
question. I don't study biomolecules, so I can get away with applying
direct fields. For biomolecules, however, I do suggest at least looking
into CompEl and how it works, and then choosing appropriate setup so
that you do not slow down your simulation too much.

That said, 0.4 V/nm does not really correspond to 40 mV in any way. The
best "fake" guess is that the voltage drop across the entire box is its
height, times the value of E-z. It is fake, because your field has
nothing to do with the solution of the Poisson's equation, or the box
height. The consequences of this field do, but the field itself doesn't,
if that makes sense. One other point to be made: water's dielectric
breakdown threshold is around 100 MV/m = 0.1 V/nm. Noone in the
community that publishes in Biophysical Journal seems to care about it,
but huge simulated fields can be incompatible with what's being studied.

My response probably doesn't help much, but this is the situation with
all MD software that relies on Ewald summation.

Alex