[gmx-users] Crystal Surfaces in GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 1 01:20:51 CET 2018

On 10/31/18 6:55 PM, tca1 wrote:
> The forces and parameters aren't a problem, that's all been developed
> separately. My main concern is the connectivity of the crystal surface
> itself with periodic images. Is there a way to explicitly denote a
> connection between atoms in the box and their periodic images, or do I
> just have to play with the box sizes and hope for the best?

The box needs to be correct, but if it is, then you can use gmx x2top
with the -pbc option to get a topology with bonds written to image atoms.

> I did see something about the periodic-molecules option while
> searching through the manual and online for this topic, but I can't
> find much detail about proper usage or if it's even relevant to what
> I'm working with here.

You will likely need it. If you have a bond between two atoms on
opposite "sides" of the central unit cell, then the periodic-molecules
option instructs mdrun to compute the bond between these two as the
minimum image distance rather than the bond length within the central
unit cell.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall