[gmx-users] Crystal Simulation

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:03:36 CET 2018

Here is an example for bulk molybdenum disulfide. These directives go into
atomname2type.n2t in your forcefield directory (I usually have a
stand-alone directory in the local simulation folder):

MO  opls_2000   0.5   95.940  6  S 0.237 S 0.237 S 0.237 S 0.237 S 0.237 S
0.237 ;bulk MO
S   opls_2004  -0.25  32.065  3  MO 0.237 MO 0.237 MO 0.237
     ;bulk S

The concept is very simple: the leftmost entry is the label, then the opls
type you've given it throughout the forcefield, then charge, then mass,
then the number of bonds it participates in, then the list of constituents
in those bonds with corresponding distances. x2top uses those distances
with a 10% tolerance to set types in the corresponding topologies.

In other words, MO atom has a type opls_2000, a charge of +0.5, a mass of
such and such, has a total of six nearest neighbors of the type S, each
residing at the distance of 0.237 nm. Those neighbors can all be different
with different bond lengths, etc. The only thing left to do after this is
set up your bonded and nonbonded parameters for these types and off you go.
Note that the charge and the mass present in the atomname2type will
override the values on ffnonbonded.itp. Definitely the case for the charge
(I never really had different masses set in the two directives). Hope this
helps.

Alex