[gmx-users] atomtype OW is not found

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 7 16:10:51 CET 2018

On 11/7/18 9:48 AM, Rahma Dahmani wrote:
> Hi Gromacs users,
> I used antechamber tools to genrate a topology and coordinates files for my
> ligand, then i used acpype to convert them to gromacs files (.top and
> .gro), then *i added manually water FF in topology file* since i want to
> run MD simulation of ligand in water ....
> I double checked the notation of water molecule (OW and HW) in gro file
> ....but i always get this error  """ *atomtype OW is not found* """"

Coordinate files contain atom *names*, not atom *types.*

> here I copy paste a part of my topology file where i include water FF
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/tip3p.itp"
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif

If you're manually constructing a topology, you need to introduce all
the necessary atom types. The tip3p.itp topology assumes that the water
atom types (and associated parameters) have already be read from a
parent force field. If you only have a ligand topology and water
topology in your system .top, then you will be missing the definitions
of the water atom types.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.