[gmx-users] Bond Decomposition Error

tca1 tca1 at rice.edu
Thu Nov 8 19:44:32 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

I've recently gotten a simulation of a 2D crystal surface set up in
GROMACS using a combination of x2top and periodic-molecules. Things
run okay for me when I do small-scale tests on a single core
(minimization, NVT equilibration, etc), however when I try to scale
this up and run it on multiple processors I get an error saying:

Not all bonded interactions have been properly assigned to the domain
decomposition cells

This happens for any number of cores larger than 1, and it happens
even during my minimization step. I don't believe this is the result
of a poor equilibrium geometry, because when I run intermediate-sized
tests on a single core, they finish correctly after only a handful of
steps, even using fairly tight minimization settings. Additionally,
the box itself is simple - just a cube with periodic boundary
conditions applied - and I'm leaving out everything but the crystal
surface in the simulation to reduce the complexity for debugging.

I suspect the error has something to do with the periodic-molecules
option and an unidentified oversight in my job setup, but I have no
idea where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom Allen