[gmx-users] Best force Field for Protein

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 20 00:46:49 CET 2018

On 11/18/18 10:46 AM, Edjan Silva wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users, I will perform a simulation of a protein with explicit
> solvent to verify structural changes in temperatures of 300 k and 310 k.

I doubt any force field will give you any meaningful differences at such
a small temperature interval.

> Given the various force fields available on the gromacs platform, which one
> would be most appropriate for my experiment?

There's no real way to know. Different force fields do well at different
things. Simulating "a protein" can mean a lot of different things. Are
you simulating a well-folded protein with a stable tertiary structure?
If so, just about any modern force field will perform equivalently. Are
you trying to fold a protein or simulate something intrinsically
disordered? Then there are force fields that do better than others, but
the choice must be yours based on a thorough review of available
literature; it's not something that strangers on an Internet forum can
conclude for you :)

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall