[gmx-users] Error: Cannot set thread affinities on the current platform

Benson Muite benson.muite at ut.ee
Fri Nov 23 20:27:24 CET 2018

Generally thread affinities are how software threads are mapped to
hardware cores:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_affinity
https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/ProcessThreadAffinity.pdf

This may have some impact on speed (but is dependent on the computer
chip, program being run and data that is being processed), see for example:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/522691
http://developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/56263-Performance-Tuning-Guidelines-PUB.pdf

It usually should not change results significantly - only expect changes
in rounding errors.