[gmx-users] [CASS SPAM]Re: [CASS SPAM]Re: How to fix graphite layers?

高恺 gaokai161 at mails.ucas.ac.cn
Thu Nov 29 08:54:22 CET 2018

Dear Alex:
Thank you very much for your patience and detailed response.
I seriously considered each of your comments and re-checked my configuration.

> All I meant is that graphite is not a simple stack of graphene sheets
> that are directly above each other (there is a stacking order).

Maybe you are talking about the polytypism of minerals. I checked the mineralogy textbook, and graphite has two types: 2H and 3R. The 2H type stack is used in my simulation.

> That's because either your initial stacking order, and/or interlayer
> distance, and/or individual layer configuration is not compatible with
> the LJ parameters of your carbons (assuming your graphene model is OK)
> -- the result is that the structure falls apart. The way to "fix" things
> is to let the system properly relax instead of masking problems by
> freezing or imposing strong restraints. It is definitely possible in
> Gromacs.

I re-checked the initial configuration:
The interlayer distance is 0.34nm, which is consistent with other data descriptions.

I also run some simulations last night:
After removing the gas in the system, both the graphite block composed of complete sheet and that with a spherical hole inside(I implemented it by removing some of the carbon atoms on each sheet) can maintain the initial configuration. This shows that the graphite configuration used in the simulation should be OK.
I think it is the high pressure of the gas in the pore that separates the graphite sheets from each other. Considering that my experimental background is deep in the earth, there should be enough pressure to keep the graphite intact.
So I want to know: In gromacs, if there is a way to prevent graphite from being blown up by high pressure gas. I am worried that using strong restraints make the simulation results unreliable.

Can you give some advice?

Thank you again for your kind reply!

Kevin