[gmx-users] Running Grompp in reverse and backing up MD data

melichercik melichercik at nh.cas.cz
Thu Nov 29 15:04:44 CET 2018

Hi Peter,
may be the gmx dump -s *.tpr can help you a little with extracting
starting data from .tpr file. You would get all interactions, positions
and velocities of all atoms with their types, etc., but the data about
aminoacid sequence (well, all more complex informations that those
mentioned above, which are needed for simulation run) you would have to
create again (I think).
But if you are interested - I'm producing two files during simulation:
1) xtc with only protein/nucleic group with more frames (there is
directive for grompp/mdrun in .mdp file to do this),
2) trr with all atoms and velocities, which is more skipped (100 times
or such).
They are huge, sure, but not so huge, as it would be if there will be
all in one .trr file.

Cause when I wait several months for hundreds of ns to be simulated and
if someone comes just after deleting the trajectories that he/she wants
to calculate some other stuff from that... I don't like the idea.

And now I'm just thinking about next backup layer for complete disaster
- to backup at least skipped (from .trr) protein/nucleic parts (without
water) with all analysis files to some external backup medium (thinking
about Bluray - and twice, of course ;-) ).
But I'll be happy, if someone shares better backup plan.
Best,

Milan