[gmx-users] Running Grompp in reverse and backing up MD data

Peter Kroon p.c.kroon at rug.nl
Thu Nov 29 15:58:54 CET 2018

Hi all,

thanks for all the feedback.

@Milan: I've made a tally of diskspace used per filetype in our lab. In
general people here don't save trr files at all (too expensive), yet
still out of 125TB total, 65% is made up of xtc files, and 10% is trr
files (followed by gro and xvg at 2.5% each). And that kind of backup
space becomes expensive. Of course for some simulations that were super
expensive to run we should back up the trajectories. But as a general
solution it's impossible. That also opens up the point of tiered
backups. For example: archive for the past 5 years to verify old
research results; off-site backups for the past 3 months in case the
building burns down; and local storage against accidental deletion. For
each there are different requirements and costs.

@Mark: Part of the reason for this discussion is figuring out what my
responsibility is exactly. My thought was that as the TPR in general
contains the same information as the input used to make it, at least a
partial reverse should be possible. Then again, mdp/top/itp files are
pretty small (17GB/35GB/110GB respectively) and should be very
compressible. By comparison, tprs make up 880GB here.

@Justin: Great point, thanks!

Thanks guys :)

Peter