[gmx-users] About rlist, rvdw

高恺 gaokai161 at mails.ucas.ac.cn
Mon Oct 8 14:43:07 CEST 2018

Dear gromacs users,

I have recently done some simulations of CH4-Graphite desorption. I put methane into the graphite pores, and the pores are connected to the outside by a channel, allowing methane to spontaneously desorb because of the pressure difference and finally reach equilibrium.
This is a simple simulation, but I noticed that using different rlist, rvdw values, the density of methane in the hole will be significantly different after the system is equilibrated.
In my understanding, the larger the rlist/rvdw, the closer the simulation results are to the real world. But I don't understand why rlist/rvdw has such a big impact on simulation results. If the result of setting rlist=2 is significantly different from the result of setting rlist=1, does it mean that the result of setting rlist to 1 is not trusted?

I am using following parameters (mdp file):
; Run parameters
integrator                   = md
nsteps                        = 20000000
dt                               = 0.001
comm-mode              = None

; Output control
nstxout                  = 50000
nstvout                  = 50000