[gmx-users] About rlist, rvdw

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 10 02:22:25 CEST 2018

On 10/8/18 8:42 AM, 高恺 wrote:
> Dear gromacs users,
>
> I have recently done some simulations of CH4-Graphite desorption. I put methane into the graphite pores, and the pores are connected to the outside by a channel, allowing methane to spontaneously desorb because of the pressure difference and finally reach equilibrium.
> This is a simple simulation, but I noticed that using different rlist, rvdw values, the density of methane in the hole will be significantly different after the system is equilibrated.
> In my understanding, the larger the rlist/rvdw, the closer the simulation results are to the real world. But I don't understand why rlist/rvdw has such a big impact on simulation results. If the result of setting rlist=2 is significantly different from the result of setting rlist=1, does it mean that the result of setting rlist to 1 is not trusted?

The cutoffs used are a part of the force field. They're not something
that can just be set arbitrarily. You need to use whatever settings are
appropriate for the force field model you've chosen to employ and not
deviate unless you can demonstrate your approach is more robust across a
suitable test set of systems.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall