[gmx-users] Fwd: Adding new atom types

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 21:55:17 CEST 2018

I'm not sure off the top of my head. The manual says:

"Pair parameters that are not present in the [ pairtypes ] section are
only generated when gen-pairs is set to “yes” in the [ defaults ]
directive of forcefield.itp"

so it sounds like the parameters in the [ pairtypes ] section should be
kept if they are there. You could check this easily yourself by running
a simple test case through grompp and seeing what is done.

However, I should clarify/correct what I was wrote in my previous
message as it wasn't 100 % correct (it's been a long week already!).

Rather than [ nonbonded_params ] and [ pairtypes ] sections, I was
actually referring to the link between the values given in the [
atomtypes ] and [ nonbonded_params ] sections of the GROMOS
ffnonbonded.itp files. So this is where there are up to 3 different C12
values used to calculate the nonbonded_params for some atomtypes, as
defined in the two tables I mentioned before in the linked paper.
Because of the different C12 values, this is why you can't predict the [
nonbonded_params ] from the [ atomtypes ] using the standard combination
rules.

For the [ pairtypes ], you also can't predict some of these from the [
nonbonded_params ] sections (using fudgeLJ) because some of the
atomtypes have explicit C6/C12 values to use just for 1-4 interactions
(as given in table 9 of the paper I linked to), while others follow the
fudgeLJ rule (i.e. are the same as those given in the [ nonbonded_params
] section). Because of this, you shouldn't try to generate the pairs for
your new atomtype using gen-pairs but you should manually calculate and
add them (as well as doing the same for the values in the [
nonbonded_params ] section). You should also be careful in doing these
calculations because the C12 values given in the [ atomtypes ] section
might not be the ones you want to use in the calculation of the
nonbonded_params values for your new atomtype (even if your new atomtype
only has one C12 value). That's because some of the atomtypes interact
with themselves using the type 2 C12 values (e.g. atomtype OA), and so
these are the values given for C12 in the [ atomtypes ] section

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Cheers

Tom