[gmx-users] Workstation choice

Benson Muite benson.muite at ut.ee
Fri Sep 7 16:15:17 CEST 2018

Check if the routines you will use have been ported to use GPUs. Time
and profile a typical run you will perform on your current hardware to
determine the bottlenecks, and then choose hardware that will perform
best on these bottlenecks and is within your budget.

Note that benchmarking can be quite time consuming - even without
performance optimization. If you have an idea of the simulations you
will run and have profiled your code, and will primarily do these
simulations, then it is probably easiest to go to a computer store where
they have several available workstations, run your benchmark yourself
and choose the best value system.