[gmx-users] Workstation choice

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 18:30:12 CEST 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 4:15 PM Benson Muite <benson.muite at ut.ee> wrote:

> Check if the routines you will use have been ported to use GPUs. Time
> and profile a typical run you will perform on your current hardware to
> determine the bottlenecks, and then choose hardware that will perform
> best on these bottlenecks and is within your budget.
>
> Note that benchmarking can be quite time consuming - even without
> performance optimization. If you have an idea of the simulations you
> will run and have profiled your code, and will primarily do these
> simulations, then it is probably easiest to go to a computer store where
> they have several available workstations, run your benchmark yourself
> and choose the best value system.

Not a bad suggestion, but these days people shop online. Even if one would
opt for a physical store, benchmarking each candidate doesn't sound
feasible (or easily done). You'd need to have multiple systems assembled,
OS and benchmarks scripts ready on a bootable drive, and measure
performance of each system before buying.