[gmx-users] mdrun: In option s, required option was not provided and the default file 'topol' does not exist or not accessible and non-integer charges

Mohammed I Sorour Mohammed.Sorour at temple.edu
Fri Aug 2 00:29:41 CEST 2019

Hi Justin,

 Thank you so much for your reply.

for the NVT run, I used the following commands

*gmx grompp -f nvt.mdp -c em.gro -p topol.top -o nvt.tpr*

which generated the nvt.tpr file and printed the following:

Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'

Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.1#
Setting the LD random seed to 708625668
Generated 4851 of the 4851 non-bonded parameter combinations
Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
Generated 4851 of the 4851 1-4 parameter combinations
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'DNA_chain_B'
turning all bonds into constraints...
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'DNA_chain_A'
turning all bonds into constraints...
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
turning all bonds into constraints...
Excluding 1 bonded neighbours molecule type 'MG'
turning all bonds into constraints...
Excluding 1 bonded neighbours molecule type 'CL'
turning all bonds into constraints...

NOTE 1 [file topol.top, line 51]:
  System has non-zero total charge: -117.999968
  Total charge should normally be an integer. See
  http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
  for discussion on how close it should be to an integer.

Setting gen_seed to -1290262031
Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 300 K
Removing all charge groups because cutoff-scheme=Verlet
Analysing residue names:
There are:   124        DNA residues
There are: 455308      Water residues
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group DNA is 7631.99
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Water is 2724393.00
Determining Verlet buffer for a tolerance of 0.005 kJ/mol/ps at 300 K
Calculated rlist for 1x1 atom pair-list as 1.036 nm, buffer size 0.036 nm
Set rlist, assuming 4x4 atom pair-list, to 1.000 nm, buffer size 0.000 nm
Note that mdrun will redetermine rlist based on the actual pair-list setup
Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
Using a fourier grid of 160x160x160, spacing 0.150 0.150 0.150
Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.16

NOTE 2 [file nvt.mdp]:
  This run will generate roughly 31380 Mb of data

There were 2 notes

GROMACS reminds you: "Push It Real Good" (Salt 'n' Pepa)

*Then I used the mdrun command *

*gmx mdrun -deffnm nvt*

Again, I have run a couple of systems before that and I successfully ran
the MD_production calculation, following the same procedure. The only
difference I could notice is the charges rounding, because it didn't happen
with those that ran successfully. That is why I suspected that.

Please, let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thanks,

Mohammed