[gmx-users] How to calculate interaction energy between two groups for every frame in a trajectory?

Sun Yeping yepingsun80 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 13:44:48 CEST 2019

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your answer. I agree that the physical meaning of interaction
energy is questionable. Actually, the structure with the lowest interaction
energy between two groups in the trajectory is very different from what I
expect.

 Then, how should I find a structure from a MD trajectory which is most
possibly close to the real structure?  I think maybe I can select a real
crystal structure related to the structure upon which the MD simulation was
done, and use it as the reference structure, and calculate rmsd of each
frame in the trajectory against the reference structure, and find the one
with the smallest rmsd. But how to calculate the rmsd? The simulated
structure has different atom number with the reference structure, so gmx
rmsd wouldn't work. Do you know which method can work in this case?

Best wishes.

Yeping Sun