[gmx-users] How to calculate interaction energy between two groups for every frame in a trajectory?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 19 14:54:18 CEST 2019

On 8/19/19 7:44 AM, Sun Yeping wrote:
> Hello Justin,
>
> Thank you for your answer. I agree that the physical meaning of
> interaction energy is questionable. Actually, the structure with the
> lowest interaction energy between two groups in the trajectory is very
> different from what I expect.
>
>  Then, how should I find a structure from a MD trajectory which is
> most possibly close to the real structure?  I

Agreement with reality depends on the availability of data regarding the
biomolecule(s) in solution.

> think maybe I can select a real crystal structure related to the
> structure upon which the MD simulation was done, and use it as the
> reference structure, and calculate rmsd of each frame in the
> trajectory against the reference structure, and find the one with the
> smallest rmsd. But how to calculate the rmsd? The simulated structure
> has different atom number with the reference structure, so gmx rmsd
> wouldn't work. Do you know which method can work in this case?

RMSD to a crystal structure does not tell you anything about how
realistic your results are. Crystal environments are very different from
solution so RMSD doesn't tell you anything conclusive. I don't
understand why you don't have a matching reference structure - you had
to start your simulation from some known coordinates, no?

-Justin